Open Heaven 19th April 2020 Daily Devotional – Grow In Grace written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye
TODAY’S TOPIC: GROW IN GRACE
MEMORISE: “But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. Amen.” – (2 Peter 3:18)
READ: 1 Peter 2:9-12 (KJV)
9. But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;
10. Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God; which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.
11. Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
12. Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles; that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.
MESSAGE On Open Heaven 19th April 2020 Daily Devotional:
The word grace connotes God’s benevolence to the undeserving. Grace empowers Christians to do both the ordinary and extraordinary (2 Corinthians 9:8).
However, if you do not grow in grace after being born again, making heaven may become increasingly difficult. This is why Peter advises Christians to grow in grace as seen in today’s memory verse.
When anyone stays at the level of salvation and fails to grow, there is a great possibility of backsliding. For this reason, Paul rebuked the church in Corinth. Despite being saved, they didn’t aspire to holy living (1 Corinthians 3:1-3).
- What are the effects of growing in grace?
According to today’s memory verse, steadily growing in grace helps us avoid lust and worldliness. When a Christian allows such into his/her life, there will be a gradual spiritual decline which is very dangerous. To avoid this decline, we must follow Peter’s counsel desire the sincere milk of the word (1 Peter 2:2).
We must also strive to keep our salvation, working it out with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12) – not in riotous or careless living, but in sobriety and modesty. When we grow in grace, it will not be difficult to live in obedience to God’s word.
“…Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord of hosts” – Zechariah 4:6
The benefit of godly living is further stressed in Zechariah 4:7 “Who art thou, O great mountain? before Zerubbabel thou shalt become plain: and he shall bring forth the headstone thereof with shouting, crying, Grace, grace unto it.” A life of grace will do wonders. Open Heaven 19th April 2020 Daily Devotional
Today, I adapt an Apostolic prayer for you: “The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you” (1 Corinthians 16:23), now and forever more. Amen.
PRAYER POINT: Father, give me a hunger for Your word. Cause me to grow in the grace of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Psalms 121, 123-125, 128-130
HYMNAL for Open Heaven 19th April 2020 Daily Devotional:
Hymn 12 – I am Thine O Lord
1. I am Thine O Lord
I have heard Thy voice
And it told Thy love to me
But I long to rise in the arms of faith
And be closer drawn to Thee.
Draw me nearer, nearer, blessed Lord,
To the cross where Thou hast died;
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer, blessed Lord
To Thy precious, bleeding side.
2. Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord
By the pow’r of grace divine
Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope
And my will be lost in Thine.
3. Oh, the pure delight of a single hour
That before Thy throne I spend
When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God
I commune as friend with friend.
4. There are depths of love that I cannot know
Till I cross the narrow sea
There are heights of joy that I may not reach
Till I rest in peace with Thee.
Thanks for reading Open Heaven 19th April 2020 Daily Devotional – Grow In Grace written by Pastor E. A. Adeboye. Please share this with other people.