DCLM Daily Manna 19th April 2020 Devotional – Observing The Sabbath Rest
DCLM Daily Manna 19th April 2020 Devotional – Observing The Sabbath Rest, written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi
TODAY’S TOPIC: OBSERVING THE SABBATH REST
TEXT: Jeremiah 17:19-27
19. Thus said the LORD unto me; Go and stand in the gate of the children of the people, whereby the kings of Judah come in, and by the which they go out, and in all the gates of Jerusalem;
20. And say unto them, Hear ye the word of the LORD, ye kings of Judah, and all Judah, and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, that enter in by these gates;
21. Thus saith the LORD; Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem; DCLM Daily Manna 19th April 2020 Devotional
22. Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers.
23. But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction.
24. And it shall come to pass, if ye diligently hearken unto me, saith the LORD, to bring in no burden through the gates of this city on the sabbath day, but hallow the sabbath day, to do no work therein;
25. Then shall there enter into the gates of this city kings and princes sitting upon the throne of David, riding in chariots and on horses, they, and their princes, the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and this city shall remain for ever.
26. And they shall come from the cities of Judah, and from the places about Jerusalem, and from the land of Benjamin, and from the plain, and from the mountains, and from the south, bringing burnt offerings, and sacrifices, and meat offerings, and incense, and bringing sacrifices of praise, unto the house of the LORD.
27. But if ye will not hearken unto me to hallow the sabbath day, and not to bear a burden, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on the sabbath day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.
KEY VERSE: “Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers.” – (Jeremiah 17:22)
MESSAGE DCLM Daily Manna 19th April 2020 Devotional:
Good rest is necessary for recuperation and maintenance of the entire body system. Wearied and exhausted, man goes to bed at night and wakes up refreshed and ready for the new day’s activities. God Himself observed the seventh day after the creation as a day of rest.
God re-emphasised the need for Israel to keep Sabbath. They were not to bear any kind of burden on the day. If they obeyed and properly observed it, it would yield good dividends resulting in “kings and princes sitting upon the throne of David”. And people will come from far and near with diverse offerings, incense and “sacrifices of praise, unto the house of the LORD” (verse 25, 26). But failure to observe this will bring God’s judgment (verse 27).
Today, many are so busy with work. They work night and day. Some take two or three jobs in order “to make both ends meet”. Work is good, as man must labour to take care of his needs and of the family but “except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it” (Psalm 127:1), It must not be done at the expense of one’s health, family life or worship of God.
But there is another kind of rest-a better one. This rest comes from knowing God through Christ. It gives justification (Romans 5:1) which offers peace here on earth as one holds on to Christ. There is also the final rest with God in heaven. This rest is bountiful, unsurpassable and eternally blissful. But there is the need to labour for the time being to enter that rest (Hebrews 4:11). The labour involved is to walk by faith and steadfastness, preach the gospel and win souls for the Lord and serve Him unreservedly in sincerity and holiness.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Rest in Christ is the true rest.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Acts 26-28
Thanks for reading DCLM Daily Manna 19th April 2020 Devotional – Observing The Sabbath Rest, written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi. Please share this with others.
DCLM Daily Manna 18th April 2020 Devotional