DCLM Daily Manna 19 February 2020 Devotional – Give More Praise, written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi
TODAY’S TOPIC: GIVE MORE PRAISE
TEXT: Exodus 18:1-12
1. When Jethro, the priest of Midian, Moses’ father in law, heard of all that God had done for Moses, and for Israel his people, and that the LORD had brought Israel out of Egypt;
2. Then Jethro, Moses’ father in law, took Zipporah, Moses’ wife, after he had sent her back,
3. And her two sons; of which the name of the one was Gershom; for he said, I have been an alien in a strange land;
4. And the name of the other was Eliezer; for the God of my father, said he, was mine help, and delivered me from the sword of Pharaoh;
5. And Jethro, Moses’ father in law, came with his sons and his wife unto Moses into the wilderness, where he encamped at the mount of God;
6. And he said unto Moses, I thy father in law Jethro am come unto thee, and thy wife, and her two sons with her.
7. And Moses went out to meet his father in law, and did obeisance, and kissed him; and they asked each other of their welfare; and they came into the tent.
8. And Moses told his father in law all that the LORD had done unto Pharaoh and to the Egyptians for Israel’s sake, and all the travail that had come upon them by the way, and how the LORD delivered them.
9. And Jethro rejoiced for all the goodness which the LORD had done to Israel, whom he had delivered out of the hand of the Egyptians.
10. And Jethro said, Blessed be the LORD, who hath delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of Pharaoh, who hath delivered the people from under the hand of the Egyptians.
11. Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods; for in the thing wherein they dealt proudly he was above them.
12. And Jethro, Moses’ father in law, took a burnt offering and sacrifices for God; and Aaron came, and all the elders of Israel, to eat bread with Moses’ father in law before God.
“And Jethro said, Blessed be the LORD, who hath delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of Pharaoh, who hath delivered the people from under the hand of the Egyptians.” – (Exodus 18:1)
MESSAGE DCLM Daily Manna 19 February 2020 Devotional:
The Duke of Wellington, the British military leader who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo, was not an easy man to serve under. He was brilliant, demanding and not one to shower his subordinates with compliments. Yet, even Wellington realised that his methods left something to be desired. In his old age, a young lady asked him what he would do differently if he had his life to live over again. Wellington thought for a moment, then replied. “I’d give more praise.”
From our text, when Jethro, the priest of Midian, Moses’ father-in-law, heard of all that God had done for Moses and Israel, how the Lord brought them out of Egypt, he rejoiced greatly and praised God.
He came with Zipporah, the wife of Moses and their two sons for a wonderful reunion. Soon, a burnt offering was offered in praise to God after which Jethro sat down with Moses and the elders of Israel to appreciate the Lord and celebrate the many victories He gave to His people.
A lot of times, we are so busy looking at the bad things around us that we fail to see the wonderful things that God is doing in our lives. Jethro did not come to complain and accuse Moses of negligence of his family. Neither did the entire team focus on the obstacles and hardships in the wilderness but to appreciate how the Lord has helped Israel. We should always remember the good things that God has done and give Him thanks. “Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits” (Psalm 103:2).
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Joy is sustained by looking on the brighter side of life.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Thanks for reading DCLM Daily Manna 19 February 2020 Devotional – Give More Praise, written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi. Please share this with other people.