DCLM Daily Manna 5th April 2020 Devotional – Turncoats, written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi
TODAY’S TOPIC: TURNCOATS
TEXT: Amos 8:1-10
1. Thus hath the Lord GOD shewed unto me; and behold a basket of summer fruit.
2. And he said, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A basket of summer fruit. Then said the LORD unto me, The end comes upon my people of Israel; I will not again pass by them any more.
3. And the songs of the temple shall be howlings in that day, saith the Lord GOD; there shall be many dead bodies in every place; they shall cast them forth with silence.
4. Hear this, O ye that swallow up the needy, even to make the poor of the land to fail,
5. Saying, When will the new moon be gone, that we may sell corn? and the sabbath, that we may set forth wheat, making the ephah small, and the shekel great, and falsifying the balances by deceit?
DCLM Daily Manna 5th April 2020 Devotional by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi
6. That we may buy the poor for silver, and the needy for a pair of shoes; yea, and sell the refuse of the wheat?
7. The LORD hath sworn by the excellency of Jacob, Surely I will never forget any of their works.
8. Shall not the land tremble for this, and every one mourn that dwelleth therein? and it shall rise up wholly as a flood; and it shall be cast out and drowned, as by the flood of Egypt.
9. And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day;
10. And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day.
KEY VERSE: “Saying, When will the new moon be gone, that we may sell corn? and the sabbath, that we may set forth wheat, making the ephah small, and the shekel great, and falsifying the balances by deceit? That we may buy the poor for silver, and the needy for a pair of shoes; yea, and sell the refuse of the wheat?” – (Amos 8:5,6)
MESSAGE – DCLM Daily Manna 5th April 2020 Devotional:
The Christian Post on August 5, 2019 reported that a former pastor and evangelical author demonstrated his support for the homosexuals by marching in Vancouver’s annual Pride Parade less than a month after announcing he no longer considers himself a Christian.
He shared several photos of himself participating in gay festivities. Even before him, there were other backsliders also who had deserted the course of Christ and denounced what they once believed.
Our passage reveals the horrible spiritual condition of the children of Israel at the time of Amos. God showed him a vision of a basket of summer fruits, a picture of the inevitable harvest of judgment to come on the land. Sabbath was impatiently endured so that they might continue their exploitation of the poor and the needy.
These avaricious and merciless people wished the new moon and Sabbaths to be over so that they would go to market, as it were, and “buy the poor.” It was the custom of those times that when a man could not discharge his debts, he would surrender himself and family to his creditor as bondservants.
By this, the rich increased their power, as well as their wealth. Not content with defrauding in the measures and prices, they mixed the chaff and sell it together with the wheat. DCLM Daily Manna 5th April 2020
God is concerned about the image of the Christian today. He hates every form of oppression and fraudulence. A genuine believer will not defraud his brother or sister in business just because he or she is richer. Adding value to other people’s life is an obligation for every believer, and this will make us to be true witnesses of Christ. It is time for all turncoats to return to Jesus.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Men fall in private long before they fall in public.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: John 16-18
Thanks for reading DCLM Daily Manna 5th April 2020 Devotional – Turncoats, written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi. Please share this with others.