DCLM Daily Manna 29th March 2020 Devotional – Folly of Idol Worship, written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi
Today’s Topic: Folly Of Idol Worship
TEXT: Judges 6:26-32
26. And build an altar unto the LORD thy God upon the top of this rock, in the ordered place, and take the second bullock, and offer a burnt sacrifice with the wood of the grove which thou shalt cut down.
27. Then Gideon took ten men of his servants, and did as the LORD had said unto him; and so it was, because he feared his father’s household, and the men of the city, that he could not do it by day, that he did it by night.
28. And when the men of the city arose early in the morning, behold, the altar of Baal was cast down, and the grove was cut down that was by it, and the second bullock was offered upon the altar that was built.
- DCLM Daily Manna 29th March 2020 Devotional by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi
29. And they said one to another, Who hath done this thing? And when they enquired and asked, they said, Gideon the son of Joash hath done this thing.
30. Then the men of the city said unto Joash, Bring out thy son, that he may die; because he hath cast down the altar of Baal, and because he hath cut down the grove that was by it.
31. And Joash said unto all that stood against him, Will ye plead for Baal? will ye save him? he that will plead for him, let him be put to death whilst it is yet morning; if he be a god, let him plead for himself, because one hath cast down his altar.
32. Therefore on that day he called him Jerubbaal, saying, Let Baal plead against him, because he hath thrown down his altar.
KEY VERSE: “And Joash said unto all that stood against him, Will ye plead for Baal? will ye save him? he that will plead for him, let him be put to death whilst it is yet morning: if he be a god, let him plead for himself, because one hath cast down his alter.” – (Judges 6:31)
MESSAGE – DCLM Daily Manna 29th March 2020 Devotional:
A particular family that worshipped an idol for centuries had a child crippled from birth. When a team of evangelists visited the family, they met the mother of the house and presented the gospel to her. She laid claim to her religion and god; but, the leader of the team challenged her with the power of Christ to heal her lame child. The group prayed and instantly, the crippled child got up and walked.
As a result, the whole family and many in that community gave their lives to Christ and the dumb idol was destroyed.
Gideon was instructed by the Lord to destroy the altar of Baal which his father had built. He obeyed but did so in the night because of fear of his father’s household and men of the city.
Many people look up to helpless gods for help and fail to realise the futility of this. They ask idols for children, healing, wealth, employment and even for travel visas. They never stop to ask themselves if the idol priests have solutions to similar problems, whether they would remain in their present situations. Would the priests not have been wealthy and influential?
Idols have eyes, but cannot see; ears, but cannot hear; hands, but cannot touch; legs, but cannot move. So, how can they fight or help anyone? (Isaiah 44:9-20). Joash, Gideon’s father, called out Baal to fight for itself, but it could not. DCLM Daily Manna 29th March 2020 Devotional
The psalmist said, “I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth” (Psalm 121:1,2). Whatever help and miracles you need can only come from God through Jesus. Instead of plunging into more problems leading to greater frustration and despair, you can get solutions to whatever challenge you are facing if you trust God and make Him your refuge and strength.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Idols are helpless; they cannot help you.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Deuteronomy 31-34
Thanks for reading DCLM Daily Manna 29th March 2020 Devotional – Folly of Idol Worship, written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi. Kindly share this with others.