DCLM Daily Manna 14th April 2020 Devotional – Serving Two Masters
DCLM Daily Manna 14th April 2020 Devotional – Serving Two Masters, written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi
TODAY’S TOPIC: SERVING TWO MASTERS
TEXT: Joshua 23:6-13
6. Be ye therefore very courageous to keep and to do all that is written in the book of the law of Moses, that ye turn not aside therefrom to the right hand or to the left;
7. That ye come not among these nations, these that remain among you; neither make mention of the name of their gods, nor cause to swear by them, neither serve them, nor bow yourselves unto them;
8. But cleave unto the LORD your God, as ye have done unto this day.
9. For the LORD hath driven out from before you great nations and strong; but as for you, no man hath been able to stand before you unto this day.
DCLM Daily Manna 14th April 2020 Devotional by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi
10. One man of you shall chase a thousand; for the LORD your God, he it is that fighteth for you, as he hath promised you.
11. Take good heed therefore unto yourselves, that ye love the LORD your God.
12. Else if ye do in any wise go back, and cleave unto the remnant of these nations, even these that remain among you, and shall make marriages with them, and go in unto them, and they to you;
13. Know for a certainty that the LORD your God will no more drive out any of these nations from before you; but they shall be snares and traps unto you, and scourges in your sides, and thorns in your eyes, until ye perish from off this good land which the LORD your God hath given you.
KEY VERSE: “Know for a certainty that the LORD your God will no more drive out any of these nations from before you; but they shall be snares and traps unto you, and scourges in your sides, and thorns in your eyes, until ye perish from off this good land which the LORD your God hath given you.” – (Joshua 23:13)
MESSAGE – DCLM Daily Manna 14th April 2020 Devotional:
The tragedy of serving two masters is that it puts on the supposed servant the onerous responsibility of constantly ‘adjusting’ his loyalty based on anticipated favours from each master, rather than the master’s demand. He will end up rendering eye-service. “No man can serve two masters”, the Scripture states emphatically.
Joshua succeeded Moses as Israel’s leader. He had led them over the years and had been used of God in various mighty ways. Now, he was approaching the end of his life and needed to drum it into their ears the conditions for God’s protection and security.
He harped continuously on separation from the surrounding heathen nations in all matters of marriage and worship as the Lord had commanded through Moses. He did not stop just at that; he proceeded to list out inescapable consequences of their disobedience: the traps, scourge and thorn that would afflict them until they perished.
Likewise, ministers and leaders in God’s house must warn the congregation against sin. The conditions that the people faced in Bible days are obviously prevailing today. Unequal yoke in marriage, business and false worship characterise the lifestyle of many so-called Christians today. Believers must be warned to resist with all vehemence, all attraction to unequal yoke and ungodly relationships.
As you go out today, do not give in to worldly pressure to join evil doers. Be determined and trust in the power of God to carry you through. After all, Christ has promised in the Scripture that “my grace is sufficient for thee”.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: No man can serve two masters.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Acts 15-17
Thanks for reading DCLM Daily Manna 14th April 2020 Devotional – Serving Two Masters, written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi. Please share this with others.
DCLM Daily Manna 13th April 2020 Devotional